- Did you know that the average 70kg adult body contains 35 to 45 litres of water? Almost 2/3rds of our body weight is "water weight":·
- Blood is 83% water·
- Muscles are 75% water·
- The brain is 74% water·
- Bone is 22% water
Water is essential to life; It is critical in regulating all body organs and temperature as well as dissolving solids and moving nutrients and oxygen to cells in your body. Water is
necessary for your body to digest and absorb vitamins and nutrients. Proper hydration may minimise chronic pains such as rheumatoid arthritis, lower back pain, migraines and
colitis as well as lower cholesterol and blood pressure. It also stimulates our metabolism, maintains our circulation, flushes toxins from the body and reduces the incidence of lethargy, headaches and kidney failure.
Humans normally loose about 10 cups of fluid a day in exhaled air, perspiration, and other bodily secretions. By the time you feel thirsty, you've probably already lost 2 or more cups of your total body water. For the human body, enough water is defined as eight glasses per day and more during physical activity and in hot weather. This is equivalent to two litres or more, and only pure water is fully effective.
Consistently drinking 8 glasses of water a day will;
- Improve Your Energy
- Increase Your Mental and Physical Performance
- Remove Toxins & Waste Products from your body
- Keep Skin Healthy and Glowing
- Reduce Headaches and Dizziness; If you're dehydrated, your blood is literally thicker, and your body has to work much harder to cause it to circulate. As a result, the brain becomes less active, it's hard to concentrate, your body feels fatigued, and you just "poop out."
- Allow for Proper Digestion; Fibre alone cannot aid proper digestive function by itself. In fact, without water as its partner, good fibre goes bad, causing constipation and extreme discomfort.
- Aid in pregnancy and nursing; Water is especially important for pregnant women and nursing mothers.
- Kidney stones; Water is also an important "healing tool" for people with a history of kidney stones. Since water dissolves calcium in the urine, downing at least 8 glasses daily reduces the risk of stone formation. Drinking water is also valuable in preventing urinary tract infections in both men and for women, flushing impurities out of the system.
- Less susceptible to colds and viruses; Even mild dehydration makes you more susceptible to viruses. For someone like me, with an immune system compromised from my battle with terminal cancer, water is a powerful weapon in my war on colds and other illnesses. I've also found that water helps me recover more quickly. When your body is hydrated, drainage from allergies and colds doesn't stick and collect in your throat and lungs, and your cough is more "productive". Even cold sores that appear on the lips are minimized by drinking water because those eruptions tend to favour dry areas on the body.
- Help You Lose Weight; Water is a natural appetite suppressant, so developing a good water drinking habit can be a long-term aid in achieving and maintaining a healthy weight. Often when you are hungry it is actually your body asking for water – not food. It's also important to remember that when the body is dehydrated, fat cells get "rubbery" and cannot be easily metabolized. This means that it's harder to lose when you don't drink your water.
- Pain relieving properties; Dr Batmanghelidjs, author of Water For Health, For Healing, For Life, carried out research into the pain relieving properties of water.Dr. Batmanghelidjs pioneering work shows that Unintentional Chronic Dehydration (UCD) contributes and even produces pain and many degenerative diseases that can be prevented and treated by increasing water intake on a regular basis. If you are committed to a healthy lifestyle, make drinking enough natural water a habit in your life. It won't take long for you to feel the benefit. It is a free investment for your long-term health. For more information on research into the pain-relieving properties of water;
Here are some tips for maintaining proper hydration:
- Drink at least 8 glasses of water each day. The more active you are, the more water you need to replenish lost fluids.
- Don’t wait until you’re thirsty to drink water. By the time you feel thirsty, you have probably already lost two or more cups of your total body water composition.
- Space your water throughout the day. Convenience is a must, so carry a bottle of water with you as you commute to work, run errands or enjoy a day at the beach. While at work, keep a bottle of water on your desk, or visit the office water cooler and take a water break rather than a coffee break.
- Don’t substitute beverages with alcohol or caffeine for water. Caffeine and alcohol act as diuretic beverages and can cause you to lose water through increased urination.
- When exercising, drink water throughout your workout as well as after your workout. Don’t underestimate the amount of fluids lost from perspiration.
- Start and end your day with water. Your body loses water while you sleep, so drink a serving before bed and again when you wake up.
- Common colds and the flu frequently lead to dehydration. Keep a large bottle of water next to your bed so you can sip it throughout the day without having to get up.
- Cool water – not carbonated beverages or sports drinks – is the best fluid for keeping hydrated when it’s warm outside. Cool water is absorbed much more quickly than warm fluids and may help to cool off your overheated body. If you’re going to be away from home or outdoors, make sure you keep a bottle of water close by.
- Make sure your children drink enough water. Children need water to balance their intake of other beverages – especially during activities. Packing bottled water in a child’s lunch instead of juice or regular soft drink can also help prevent childhood obesity.
Did you know…?
Contact us for more information - Or call Phil on 02 4956 9246 today!
- The vast majority of Western Europe has rejected water fluoridation.
- The fluoride chemical added to water is an unprocessed, industrial waste-product from the pollution scrubbers of the phosphate fertilizer industry.
- A growing body of evidence indicates that water fluoridation is both ineffective and unnecessary.
- Fluoride's 'benefits' are primarily topical, not systemic. Thus, there is no need to swallow fluoride.
- Two-thirds of US communities, when given the chance to vote, have voted against fluoridation. Over 60 US communities have rejected water fluoridation since 1999.
- Excessive exposure to fluoride has been linked to health problems, including arthritis, hip fracture, hypothyroidism, cancer, male reproductive problems, and brain disorders.
- Children are receiving too much fluoride today, not "too little". There is a need to reduce, not increase, current exposures.
- As a result of excess exposure to fluoride, near-epidemic numbers of children are developing dental fluorosis (a poisoning of tooth-forming cells).
- Scientifically advanced and health conscious countries such as Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland and others, have totally rejected fluoridation.
- There has never been a scientific study in Australia or the world to prove the safety of fluoridation.
- No studies in Australia have proven that fluoridation is perfectly safe for all people.
- Fluoride is a poison that accumulates in your body and one-third of a teaspoonful of sodium fluoride is estimated to be a lethal dose.
- There has been no clinical research which proves fluoride stops dental caries, only clever and persistent propaganda.
- Young children should never use fluoridated toothpaste because they have no control over the amount swallowed. In fact many children eat the stuff because it is enticingly flavoured and coloured.
- Fluoridated toothpaste can contain up to 1500 p.p.m. of fluoride. There is enough in one tube to kill a child!
- Nature knows best - there is virtually no fluoride in mothers' milk. A bottle-fed baby on formula food reconstituted with fluoridated water, receives 700% above N.H. and M.R.C. and W.H.O. suggested maximum safe daily intake of fluoride for babies. Many world medical scientists consider the fluoride intake should be zero.
- The Tasmanian Royal Commission 1968 and the Victorian Inquiry 1980 estimated 10% of children in fluoridated populations will suffer dental fluorosis, ie mottled teeth. The latest research shows 48%.
- The British Medical Research Council and the American Medical Association and the NH and MRC state that dental fluorosis is the first sign of chronic fluoride poisoning. Why is this appalling medical condition tolerated?
- There were over 100 Statutory Declarations claiming harm from fluoridation, some with Doctors' Certificates, sent to the Victorian Inquiry through our Association. Not one person was contacted or examined by the Government Committee and no mention was made in the Report so that the Premier was able to announce that "no harm was reported".